UUs Feed the Community is a Team of UU volunteers dedicated to provide those in need with nourishing meals. We offer a variety of opportunities throughout the year. Check back often and sign up to help. Current opportunities are listed below:
City With Dwellings
- Volunteers needed to jointly provide dinner for 30 at 6:00pm to help our partner and sponsor, City With Dwellings, feed the homeless men of W-S at Augsburg Lutheran Church. Stay and help serve and clean up with your friends from the Fellowship.
- Together, dinner volunteers provide our guests a hot meal in an atmosphere of hospitality. Bring an entree and side dish/es (dessert is optional), and drinks. Please come with anything needed for serving including plates, silverware, napkins, cups, etc. Dinner volunteers will serve/plate the meal for our guests, and will help to clean up after dinner. Meal should be ready to serve by 6:30pm–dinner volunteers may show up anytime after 6pm.
- Protein is critical for our guests’ diet, so please make sure that any meatless entree contains an alternate form of protein. Firm fruits or vegetables may be hard on teeth that receive little or no dental care.
- Volunteers Needed: 12/30/22,1/18/23, and 3/22/23
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP
Flourish at The Shalom Project
- Flourish is an 18-month community-building program designed to help women heads-of-household and their families transition out of poverty or financial insecurity. Evening meals are provided and served to the program participants at the Green Street Methodist Church by volunteer groups.
- Recognizing that poverty generates chronic stress and other barriers to a person’s health and well being, Flourish takes a holistic approach linking the women in the program (called “Achievers”) to practical financial, vocational, and self-care resources, providing opportunities for peer-bonding, and most importantly, fostering community among individuals from different income levels and cultural backgrounds.
- Fellowship volunteers will work with a set recipe for the main course, a vegan option, a simple green salad, and fruit. This follows the healthy diet the program supports.
- Volunteers needed Mondays: 2/6/23, and 4/3/23 to prepare, serve, and cleanup for Flourish at The Shalom Project.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP
Questions? Please contact Carol Ziel.